Planning and strategy
Independents we’ve spoken to that have gotten funding or their projects produced stated, after months of contacting agencies and companies with no success, they partnered with friends, other industry individuals and/or retained individuals that had the knowledge, resources and access to investors and industry executives to help them.
The independents above agreed that the industry has made it more challenging than ever to get their projects produced based on the rules the industry has put in place. However they also agreed, technology provides a number of options for independents to compete for getting their projects produced, distributed and to build an audience.
Below are some suggestions provided by independents who got funding or a TV project(s) licensed/sent to series by the network.
First step and additional steps to consider:
- First: keep in mind you are asking for money; sometimes millions of dollars to make a movie… therefore this is a business transaction, they will want to see more than your script, there are no short cuts and it will take time.
- Second: it is highly recommended you have an experienced producer or production company supporting you … For those that are searching for a Production Company to help them; this is one of the best options to have, but also one of the most challenging options to secure. But if you’re able to get past the gate keeper, speak to the EP about how you’re open to co-producing and sharing in the responsibility of developing and marketing your project. Keep in mind; given the obligations to their own projects and possibly other industry clients they have; they’re probably not willing to option or divert time and resources to a project they are not co-producing or are retained to work on.
- Third: create a plan that promotes and markets your project. Studios, networks and agencies have staff devoted to tracking books with high volume sales, online marketing data from YouTube and Social Media sites to identify projects with high traffic numbers. This data alone will not convince investors, Production Companies or industry executives to fund or license your project, but it might get their attention and open the door to discussing possible steps going forward.
- Fourth: Keep all options open. Cable stations (HBO, Showtime, Netflix etc…) are funding feature films and TV series for broadcast. You may have to revise the script and budget to meet their programming needs, but it’s an option to consider.
- Another option many independents are considering for promoting and marketing their script is adapting their script to a novel. Film studios and industry insiders as a component of their marketing strategy are aggressively adapting scripts to books. For more information … click here
Having spoken with investors and industry executives regarding a variety of genres with low and high budgets; visit this link for what should be in your Producer’s Package and a list of some of the questions asked of us and other executive producers by investors and network executives:
Contact Nichole: email@example.com